Show your pup some love with healthy, homemade treats.
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — There’s no better way to celebrate National Dog Biscuit Day than by baking some homemade treats for your pup! Our friend, Grace Derocha, Registered Dietitian and National Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, shows us a simple recipe that uses only three ingredients!
It’s so important to love our dogs because they are proven to take care of us. Dog owners have better mental and physical health. Our pets provide unconditional love and lots of hugs, and dog owners get closer to those 150 minutes of physical activity per week with walks. So, in the long run, we can thank our dogs for helping to prevent chronic diseases like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
3 Ingredient Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
By: Grace Derocha RD, CDCES, MBA
Registered Dietitian and National Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 1 cup oats (old fashioned, 1 minute oats, or instant)
- ⅓ cup pure pumpkin (no pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 300F (150C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add rolled oats to a food processor and grind until they reach a fine powder. Add pumpkin and peanut butter and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Remove from the processor and spread out on a lightly floured surface. Use ground oats. Use a small cookie cutter to cut out cookies in any shape, or simply cut them into squares with a knife.
- Place the treats on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the treats are dry and hard. Allow to cool before giving to your pup, then store in an airtight container. They should keep for at least a week at room temperature, two weeks in the refrigerator, or you can freeze them.