Dairy Free Lemon Pudding Frozen Dessert Recipe with Lime Option
This sweet summer dessert is perfect to wow your friends and family at your next outdoor gathering. Plus, all your guests should be able to join in, because these delicious lemon pudding frozen desserts are free of dairy, eggs, gluten, nuts, and soy, and are even vegan!
These Vegan Lemon Pudding Frozen Desserts Are Simply Cool Treats
This recipe was shared with us by Chef Jason Wyrick of The vegan taste, a vegan meal service. He suggests garnishing molded desserts with fresh mint and berries, but he prefers small, light fruits, like wild blueberries. Here are some other quick notes.
- Starch: If you need corn-free, you can substitute cornstarch with arrowroot starch. Tapioca starch might also work well.
- milk drink: We prefer the coconut milk drink for this recipe, but Chef Wyrick uses soy milk. Just note that soy milk can curdle when boiled. You can use your favorite milk drink, but if your lemon pudding is curdling, oddly thick, or too runny, the culprit is your milk drink.
- Citrus: Don’t feel limited in flavor. You can use tangerines or other tasty fruits from the citrus family in place of lemon. Just omit the lemon extract if you don’t have it or if it doesn’t match the flavor.
Special Dietary Notes: Lemon Pudding Frozen Desserts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free/dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and food allergy friendly. Just be sure to choose the milk drink that suits your dietary needs.
Dairy Free Lemon Pudding Frozen Desserts
Author: Chief Jason Wyrick
Type of recipe: Dessert
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp lemon juice (about 2 lemons) (may contain lime juice)
- 1½ tablespoons lemon zest (can enhance lime zest)
- 1½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup small or sliced berries (optional)
- Add the cornstarch to a medium saucepan and whisk about ¼ cup of the milk drink, until the starch is dissolved. Whisk the rest of the milk drink and the sugar.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking often, for about 7 minutes, or until mixture thickens but does not boil. Whisk vigorously as it thickens so that the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture into a medium bowl.
- Immediately stir in lemon juice, zest and extracts until smooth.
- Pour the pudding into freezer safe moulds.
- If using, place berries in pan, allowing some to submerge.
- Freeze puddings for 5 hours or overnight.
- Allow puddings to soften a little on the counter, about 10 to 15 minutes, before serving.
- Keep leftovers frozen.
Management of time: Take extra care while making the sauce as the cornstarch will stick and burn quickly in your pan if you don’t whisk the mixture.
Portion: 1 mold or ⅙ recipe calories: 150 Big: 1g Saturated fat: .1g Carbohydrates: 35.2 Sugar: 29g Sodium: 54mg Fiber: 1g Protein: .6g
More Vegan Frozen Desserts
PayDay Vegan Freezer Bars
Mini frozen lime tarts
No-Bake Banana Cheesecake Squares